Congenital Heart Defect Awareness
6 Facts About Congenital Heart Disease (CHD)
- Most Common Type Of Birth Defect
- 1 Out Of 100 Infants Impacted
- 25% Of CHDs Require Surgery Or A Procedure Within A Baby's First Year Of Life
- More Than 90% Of Children With CHD Live Into Adulthood
- 3 Million+ Children And Adults Are Living With Congenital Heart Disease
- Common CHDs Include:
- Bicuspid aortic valve
- Ventricular septal defects
- Atrial septal defects
Did You Know? Terminator actor Arnold Schwarzenegger has Congenital Heart Disease? This shows that despite CHD, people can still live a normal life. They just need lifelong follow-up!
So if you have CHD or know someone who has Adult CHD & needs follow-up, please refer to University Hospitals Sussex
- Adult CHD Consultants: Dr Victoria Parish and Dr Joanna Luszczak
- Adult CHD Nurse Specialists: Martina Semeraro and Charmaine Cuenca
Direct Helpline: 07557 824209 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
Somerville Heart Foundation
Somerville Heart Foundation is the only UK-wide charity dedicated to supporting young people & adults with CHD.
Over an average year, they provide:
- 500+ hrs of mental health & wellbeing support
- peer support to 1500+ ACHD members
- support through 1000 Helpline and web enquiries
- CoaguChek machine
Published: Feb 27, 2023
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.